Emphasizing the saying “pretty deadly,” the Dominate Person spell allows bards, sorcerers, and even wizards to beguile their opponents at 5th-level enchantment.
With their enemies at their disposal, this spell allows them to be under their complete control. Read more to learn about the charms of this spell.
What is Dominate Person 5e: mechanics and requirements
- Casting time: 1 action
- Level: 5th level enchantment
- Range: 60 feet
- Target: A humanoid that you can see within range
- Components: V S
- Duration: Concentration. Up to 1 minute
- Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard
You attempt to beguile a humanoid that you can see within range. It must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the duration. If you or creatures that are friendly to you are fighting it, it has advantage on the saving throw.
While the target is charmed, you have a telepathic link with it as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence. You can use this telepathic link to issue commands to the creature while you are conscious (no action required), which it does its best to obey. You can specify a simple and general course of action, such as “Attack that creature,” “Run over there,” or “Fetch that object.” If the creature completes the order and doesn’t receive further direction from you, it defends and preserves itself to the best of its ability.
You can use your action to take total and precise control of the target. Until the end of your next turn, the creature takes only the actions you choose, and doesn’t do anything that you don’t allow it to do. During this time you can also cause the creature to use a reaction, but this requires you to use your own reaction as well.
Each time the target takes damage, it makes a new Wisdom saving throw against the spell. If the saving throw succeeds, the spell ends.DnD Beyond
Advantages and drawbacks
- Total control: Upon casting the Dominate Person spell, the caster can control the target to do whatever they desire.
- Discreet command: A telepathic link is created between the caster and the target, allowing the target to receive orders without anyone knowing.
- Upcast: As you progress and level up, you will be able to cast this spell at a higher level, allowing you to use this spell for longer. When you use a spell slot of 8th level or higher, the duration is Concentration, up to 8 hours.
- Doesn’t need materials: The Dominate Person spell doesn’t require any materials to cast. You can cast this spell if you can speak and move.
- Good range: With 60 feet of range, this gives ample area for a caster to utilize on the field, approximating 12 squares worth! (5 feet per square)
- Long duration: Though one minute may seem short in real life, in the Dungeons and Dragons’ battlefield, one minute can last up to 10 rounds giving you plenty of control.
- Common saving throw: The problem that comes with this spell is that it requires a Wisdom saving throw. Many monsters in Dungeons and Dragons can be found with a saving throw proficiency in this, rendering it useless if the monster manages to save.
- Limited target: With this spell, you will only be able to target humanoid creatures and no other enemies outside of that.
- Uses Concentration: To maintain Dominate Person requires Concentration. If the Concentration is broken, the spell ends. Normal activity, such as moving and Attacking, doesn’t interfere with Concentration, but Concentration can be ended at any time or if the following occurs:
- Casting another spell that requires Concentration. Suppose a player wants to cast another spell while in Concentration; the current spell will break.
- Taking Damage. Whenever you take damage while concentrating on a spell, you must make a Constitution saving throw to maintain your Concentration. The DC equals ten or half the damage you take, whichever number is higher.
- Being Incapacitated or killed. If you are incapacitated (when you can’t take actions or reactions) or if you die, you will lose Concentration.
- Requires components: To use the Dominate Person spell requires components. Though it only uses verbal and somatic components, which utilize voice and motion, if you are tied up and or muffled by your opponents, you will not be able to cast this spell.
- The spell can be broken: Aside from passing a Wisdom saving throw, a creature can lose the condition of being charmed if attacked by any creature, whether friend or foe.
Best uses for Dominate Person 5e
Silent but Deadly
Given that a telepathic link is secured between the caster and target e.g. a thug, this gives way to having the enemy be your puppet without anyone being the wiser. If you avoid conflict, your target will be forced to follow your commands at your discretion.
Having total control of opponents gives you a lot of power to have them serve and obey you. Whether you need a pirate captain Magic items for a pirate 5e: why and best items to haveto go overboard or have a government official sign an important document, the possibilities are endless! After all, the only person and thing that can limit you are you and your spell duration.
Sometimes, it can be hard to make ends meet in the Dungeons and Dragons world’s economy. Even if you are a high-level spellcaster, it may not be that simple to whip out a spell to create a pot of gold or impress anyone with your magic tricks for cash. But with the Dominate Person spell, the hustle won’t be as hard!
Let’s say you see a nobleman minding his own business. This can be a good opportunity for you to cast this spell so he could make a “generous” donation.
Advice and final thoughts
The Dominate Person spell is great for both players and Dungeon Masters to utilize in future sessions. Especially for the strategic and creative thinker, the benefits of this spell outweigh the technical setbacks as it can offer many opportunities to explore.
It’s important for anyone using this spell to consider the limitations though it may seem simple by name, as there can be hitches you may encounter that can make the spell obsolete. Think wisely; surely, you can make the most out of this spell!
Dominate Person 5e FAQ
Can you use the Dominate Person spell to force out information?
Yes, with the Dominate Person spell to have “total and precise control” of the person, you will be more than able to force out information from your target.
Can the Dominate Person spell be used on someone unconscious?
Technically, you can cast the Dominate Person spell on an unconscious humanoid. However, the unconscious condition specifies “the creature cannot sleep or speak,” so the creature cannot do anything unless you wake them up.
Can you Dispel Magic on Dominate Person?
It is possible to use the Dispel Magic spell on Dominate Person. However, the person casting Dispel Magic will need to make a spellcasting check per the spell’s description. It can also be upcasted to break the effects without rolling.